Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Responce to My Papa's Waltz




The first time I read "My Papa's Waltz" I thought it was about abuse. Then when Ms. Galang made us take the opposing side. I now think it could go either way.

The poem could be interprited as abbusive in several ways which could also just my clumpsy and playful.
1) "The whiskey on your breath could make a small boy dizzy"- this could mean the dad is drunk or that he has had one drink.

2) "We romped until the pans slid from the kitchen shelf"- this could be him drunk and stumbling around but could also be them being playful and actually dancing and playing.

3) "At every step you missed my right ear scraped a buckle"- could be being hit with a belt but could also be that little boy only comes up to his belt.

Overall the poem to me could go either way. There is evidence of abuse as you can see in my annotations but there is evidence also hinting that the boy is scared of something else or not scared at all. I personly like this poem because it makes you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment